Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Year After Year

I've been thinking a lot about work lately. And how in three years at one job, I've learned more about what I do and do not enjoy about work, life, myself, other people, than I ever learned on a college campus. A few reflections:

- Most people don't have a clue what they are doing, the ones that succeed are the best at faking it
- Putting myself in situations that scare the bejeezus out of me, has given more confidence and drive than I thought possible
- It's a man's world
- The image I have of myself is very different than what others think of me, and that's a good thing
- People listen when I use my outside voice
- I am grateful to be from a small town, it helps put things in perspective
- It IS possible to be nice, yet firm, and get what you want (I'm still practicing this, but I've seen it work)

I find myself challenged everyday. And it is refreshing when I face those challenges and succeed, but also greatly humbling when I fall just short. It's OK that I'm still learning. It's OK that I don't know it all. Everyday is a new challenge.

2 comments:

Liza said...

Needed that work inspriation this morning :) Thank you, sis!

Susan said...

I have a very wise niece! Love you! - Aunt Sue