Friday, September 12, 2008

Only Get Worse

There's a distinct feeling in the air. The hurricane winds, so different than normal wind, are still blowing through the hot, sticky September air. You drive down historic roads, and see tree after tree twisted to the ground. Hanging power lines and four-way stops litter the traffic-filled roads.

Hurricanes used to be fun. There was a type of adventure associated with them. No school! No worries! Just watch it rain, and wait for the go-ahead to get back to normal life. The mystery is gone. Now, hurricanes only mean long lines at the gas station, waiting your turn at the blinking traffic light and stress about what if I get caught where I can't get away?

I guess this is part of how life turns from fantasy to reality. Hurricanes are just one roaring way that life reminds you that it's sometimes unforgiving. Just as the wind is unforgiving to shallow roots, so is life unforgiving to fragile hearts.

But God is faithful, and he will plant more trees and return the rabbits to the small forest area by my apartment. He will also watch as the wind whips the storm-weary trees, and he will watch over me as I take it day by day, work hour by work hour until I find His plan for my life. Who knows, maybe hurricanes are another way he reminds us that he is control. He is in control of even the scary things like hurricanes, not making the rent payments and facing another day in a place that quiets your creativity.

God is faithful, and you can almost hear His voice in the distinct rush of hurricane winds.

No comments: