Thursday, June 4, 2009

I Don't Need To Think

It's amazing how songs can transport back into memories. Songs that I hear from high schoool remind of that same gym lobby smells and insecure feelings. I can't listen to certain songs for long periods of time because they cause me to feel 16 again, and it's really hard to pull myself back to 24. But at the same time, they are memories of times that made me feel more than a normal teenage girl, they made me feel brave, and rebellious and carefree.

A playlist of remembrance:

The Ataris - "So Long, Astoria"
Dave Matthews Band - "Pay For What You Get"
Alanis Morrisette - "No Pressure Over Cappucino"
Incubus - "Mexico"
The Beatles - "Come Together"
Pat Magee Band - "Rebecca"
Sister Hazel - "Your Mistake"

But, the good thing about music, is that it is always news and always refreshing. And the songs that I've found recently and the memories I have made, have trumped and diminished the inadequacies I felt in high school. They have been replaced with college memories filled with freedom, and joy and real friendships.

I think I'll always remember the smell of the gym floor, or classroms of high school, but the friends from college remain the most memorable of all.

No comments: