Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Openings & Closings

[12.30.07] - This Is How It Goes

I suppose this is how it goes
Openings and closings
This way or that
It has been that kind of year - (This is why you're here)

Winter brought tears dropped on American flags
Smells of hospitals and overnight bags

Spring brought magnolias and oak tree shade
Uncertainty of anything past graduation day

Summer brought cement heat from city sweet
And interstate lanes well traveled in retreat

Autum brought the world
Borrowed, blue, old and new

I suppose this is how it goes
Openings and closings
This way or that
It has been that kind of year - (This is why I'm here)

But the moments between this and that
Have been the difference between where I'm at
And where I'll be
When next year's seasons change again
With the door closings and window openings
I only suppose that this is how it will go...

It will be that kind of year - (This is why we're here!)

2 comments:

Liza said...

This is so good...tear :_(

Anonymous said...

"For everything...turn, turn, turn,
There is a season...turn, turn, turn,
And a time for every purpose, under heaven."

--The Byrds/Solomon