Monday, June 23, 2008

Been This Way Before

American Religion

This new study interested me. I don't necessarily know if I really believe what they say about religion being 3,000 miles wide but only 3 inches deep. They point out in the story that a large percentage of religious people believe that their faith is not the only path to eternal life. But what they don't specify is what religion thinks what other religions have the eternal life key.

I have a sneaky feeling that if they polled a Catholic, they would believe, as they rightly should, that even though they are a Catholic, they believe in the same tenets of faith as a Methodist - and would characterize themselves as "believing in other eternal life options." If they count Catholic & Methodist as a separate religion, then their results will be skewed.

Either way, it makes me happy and sad at the same time. Happy that Americans still hold values fairly close to their heart. But convicted at the same time that I'm not doing enough to share my relationship with Christ with those around me. Especially when I read that a certain percentage of protestants, Catholics and Jews don't believe you can't have a personal relationship with God. And that God is an "impersonal being."

It's just something to think about.

No comments: