Monday, June 16, 2008

Just Like I Told You

Two cheers for vacations!

Mine is only 8 days away.

Have you ever thought about how much you think about in one day? On top of your daily brain exercises and going through the motions of functionality, you (or maybe it's just me) relive moments and memories that really having nothing to do with what you are currently engaged in.

For example, last night, I was watching the Tony Awards and while I was listening to the original cast of Rent sing Seasons of Love, I was simultaneously thinking about a youth camp I went to the summer after my senior year of high school. I was on the bus, pretending to be asleep while my friends around me talked about something only myself and one other person had promised to keep secret. It's almost as if the music, in no way related to that moment, was a reminder of that decision to pretend to be asleep so that I wouldn't show my absolute shock. Even though they directly addressed me to point out the obvious, I remember conciously thinking "I can't let them see me this way."

Why would those two moments be connected?

I know smells and songs remind us of memories, but I find it funny that my brain culls through so many thoughts and memories a day, that even the most un-related moments can find a common ground in my head. Strange.

And on to more important things -- I still don't eat mushrooms.

No comments: